Plans to launch the new command are expected to be officially announced by Defense Secretary Robert Gates soon, the Journal said, quoting unnamed government and military sources. The cyber command is expected to be headed by a four-star general and would -- at least, initially -- be part of the Pentagon's Strategic Command.
According to the Journal, which quoted unnamed sources at the Pentagon, the frontrunner to head the new cyber command is Lt. General Keith Alexander. He is currently the director of the National Security Administration (NSA).
In a keynote speech Tuesday at the RSA Security Conference being held in San Francisco this week, has no interest in running cybersecurity for the U.S. government as some have feared. But he did say the NSA wants to be able to lend technical support to help the U.S. Department of Defense fulfill its cybersecurity mission.
The move to create a new military cyber command is an apparent response to the growing number of threats directed against critical military networks and systems. Earlier this week, the Journal reported on cyber criminals who had , a US$300 billion stealth fighter now under development. Though no classified information appears to have been stolen, information related to the design of the Joint Strike Fighter and its electronics -- data that could be used to help defend against the jet -- appears to have been compromised, the Journal said. There have also been numerous other reports about foreign cyber spies from countries such as China and Russia breaking into military computers for espionage purposes.
Word of the planned cyber command comes as the Obama administration prepares to review a report documenting government-wide cyber preparedness. The report was prepared by a former Bush administration aide who was appointed acting senior director for cyberspace for the National Security Council as well as the Homeland Security Council in February.